Thursday, March 24, 2011

COMFORT

COMFORT


I think that God is proud of those who bear
A sorrow bravely -- proud indeed of them
Who walk straight through the dark to find him there,
And kneel in faith to touch his garment's hem.

Oh, proud of them who lift their heads to shake
Away the tears from eyes that have grown dim,
Who tighten quivering lips and turn to take
The only road they know that leads to him.

How proud he must be of them -- he who knows
All sorrow, and how hard grief is to bear!
I think he sees them coming, and he goes
With outstretched arms and hands to meet them there.

And with a look, a touch on hand or head,
Each finds his hurt heart strangely comforted.
(by Grace Noll Crowell, found in Victory Over Trials by Lottie Beth Hobbs)



COMFORT IN TRIBULATION


"This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me" (Ps. 119:50).

"Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God" (2 Cor. 1:4).

Everyone will go through trials. James 1:2 says, "My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations." When we are having trials we will need to be comforted. In the Bible, Job is a great example of this very fact. Job needed comforting. Job's friends and wife were not the best comforters.

"Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word" (Ps. 119:67).

"It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes" (Ps. 119:71).

COMFORT THOSE YOU NEED TO COMFORT

What about comforting the grieving widow? What about the young mother who has two children and her husband just left her? What about our elders? They always need comfort.

"And whether we be afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effectual in enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer: or whether we be comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation" (2 Cor. 1:6).

"Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God" (Is. 40:1).

"To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn" (Is. 61:2).

"I have seen his ways, and will heal him: I will lead him also, and restore comforts unto him and to his mourners" (Is. 57:18).

"Wherefore comfort one another with these words" (1 The. 4:18).

COMFORTED OF GOD

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me" (Ps. 23:4).

"Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted" (Mat. 5:4).

God is our ultimate comforter.

PURPOSE OF THE CHURCH -- COMFORT

"Nevertheless God, that comforteth those that are cast down, comforted us by the coming of Titus" (2 Cor. 7:6).

"Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God" (2 Cor. 1:4).

Paul here gives the purpose of affliction in the Christian's life--to qualify one to minister to others.

CONCLUSION

We need comfort in our tribulations. We need to comfort others. We are comforted of God. The purpose of the church is to comfort. We comfort through the Scriptures, prayers, and sharing God. We learn from our tribulations. We comfort one another when we can share our tribulations. We are human and knowing that someone else has gone through what we are going through, and come out of those tribulations just fine should give us comfort. Our God that created all men understands all things and from this we should take great comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment